1. Welcome to the Talk States forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate directly with other members (conversations), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us using the link at the bottom right of the page.

Agricultural Inspection Station on Interstate 95 in Florida

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Sekretgardengal, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Sekretgardengal

Sekretgardengal Community Rep

Does anybody know if a U-Haul truck for household moving needs to stop at the agricultural station before leaving Florida into Georgia?
    I am moving up to Pennsylvania. and want to take my houseplants with us. I don't want to have to throw them out because of this inspection station.
  2. thecuban

thecuban Looking UP!!!

Good question! I know that if you go from California to Arizona your asked if you have any plants. I know why they do that here, its because of the pollen that some plants put out.
  3. MyAzi

MyAzi Slave to Sir Azi

I thought it was due to the disease that a plant may have and they don't want plant life to die in other parts
  4. thecuban

thecuban Looking UP!!!

That also could be a factor. Here in Arizona we have plants that are against the law to grow because of the pollen it produces. Like the olive tree.
  5. MyAzi

MyAzi Slave to Sir Azi

yeah those darn olive trees make such a mess!!!
  6. Sekretgardengal

I just found out that it shouldn't be a problem leaving the state. Wew!
  7. thecuban

thecuban Looking UP!!!

Great!!! :biggrin: I want to take some of my plants as well to North Carolina from Arizona. Do you think they'll make it in back of a moving truck?
    3 day journey
  8. MyAzi

MyAzi Slave to Sir Azi

we did plants in the back of a moving truck for 3 days. Watered them well and hoped for the best. Lost one and the other dozen were a bit sad but after a couple of months did fine.
  9. Sekretgardengal

We aren't going to worry about the agricultural inspection station.
    We will have a trailer and uhaul said we don't have to stop there.
  10. cleozmom

cleozmom Member

Every time we'd go through it was referred to the "bug station", going in to California that is.
  11. Sekretgardengal

I hope we don't have to get rid of the houseplants.
  12. Wyoming53

Wyoming53 Hermit Staff Member

I've lived both east and west. In the case of Arizona, it's any plant that can produce pollen. Arizona is a lot of people that moved there to get away from their allergies. In the case of Florida, it's a matter of Citrus with bugs coming out of the state. I once moved out of Florida and they stopped me. They said house plants were fine but did I have any citrus? I said, just this orange in my lunch box to eat with my lunch. They made me throw it away.
  13. Sekretgardengal

We aren't taking any citrus out of Florida. at all. I will get my lemons at the grocery store!
    I received an email from the Agricultural place and they send there is no state regulations on houseplants leaving the state! Horray:tongue:
  14. Sekretgardengal

Update:
    We had to pull into the agricultural station and had no problems whatsoever.
    They waved us on.
    T.S. likes this.
  15. whitegold

whitegold New Member

What to expect when you go thru an agricultural checkpoint? do they check your license/ are they police officers or just agricultural officers? They do not care too much about plants leaving the state, like container plants that do not bear fruit?
  16. Wyoming53

Wyoming53 Hermit Staff Member

The agriculter inspection stations stop ALL plants from coming into the state. All plants, and all veggies and fruits. The idea is to stop all disease from infiltrating their plants. No, they are not police officers, but they can make an arrest if you give them problems. They are with the department of agriculture and are, in effect, law enforcement officers.