1. Welcome to the Talk States forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate directly with other members (conversations), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us using the link at the bottom right of the page.

Where is the safest coastal areas in Florida?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by PDXnative, Jan 31, 2007.

1. PDXnative

PDXnative Travel Junky

With all of the hurricanes lately and the media showing everything it makes Florida look like it has a big target on it. Are there any coastal areas in Florida that are safe, or safer from hurricane damage?
  2. Wyoming53

Wyoming53 Hermit Staff Member

I have a friend that lives in the rural community of Old Town. Now Old Town is about 30 miles from the coast but it's starting to get settled a little more in that area. I recently spent some time with him and his wife. One of the things we talked about is hurricanes. I asked him how much of a threat they were for him.

He said that in the 25 years he's lived there, he's had one hurricane track over top of him. Of course it had the residual tornadoes and such. But being 30 miles from the coast he was fine. There's a lot of scrub oak in the country so the trees are all about 80-100 ft tall and provide a great deal of wind break. The one that tracked over him dropped a couple of tornadoes and they damaged trees but didn't hit any houses and nobody was hurt.

I'd say he lives in a relatively safe area. Being only 30 miles from the ocean, it's a short trip to have a day at the beach. But far enough away to keep from getting hit by the brunt of the storm, when it comes.
  3. Sekretgardengal

Sekretgardengal Community Rep

We are about the same distance from the gulf but have the harbor nearby.
    When Charley hit it hit bad. The trees didn't break any wind at all. They all practically came down. The one outside my frontdoor landed on my truck!

I would say to stay away from the coastal areas and move inland more.

Orlando even felt the rath of Charley in 04 and that's in the middle of the state.
  4. kdm31091

kdm31091 Member

Well, be fair, Orlando and most inland areas GENERALLY don't get smacked hard. They do have more tornadoes though, so it's a tradeoff.
  5. Sekretgardengal

Sekretgardengal Community Rep

They really got a beaten from Charley on Aug. 13, 2004. Not as bad as where I am in Punta Gorda, but still had problems. I hate hurricanes!
  6. Wyody

Wyody ,

I wonder if the original question that started this thread wasn't about the "Storm Surge", the Tsunami like wave that hits
    at some point before, during or after the Hurricane comes by.
    I think, in most of Florida, it wouldn't be so bad - at least on the Atlantic coast. It's pretty shallow water to begin with and most of the Atlantic coast has the additional buffer of the Intra-Coastal Waterway - and also of several man-made canals that reach all the way across the penninsula.
    Now, if it came up the Gulf side, I don't know what the story would be. Mostly shallow as I recall.
    Biggest problem would be from the winds and from the additional spawned-tornadoes.
    Every hurricane that was supposed to hit when I lived there - turned - so, other than doing the precautionary work, I was never directly in one ... although I did have my car picked up a few feet off the ground - and set back down - about 100ft down the road, near Sebring ... while I was driving it!
  7. Panterro

Panterro TEXAS ***** ADVISOR

Flooding and tornadoes are what kill people.. not the high winds from the hurricane. Flooding is really the biggest killer of them all. The huge amounts of rain and the tidal surge can fill even areas 100 miles inland with death dealing flooding. Now add a few Tornadoes in the mix.. and there ya have it. Ok I know tidal surge wont hit 100 miles in land.. but flooding from a hurricane can.

I like the coast and would still live near it, and haul butt when a storm came at us.. and go back and pick up whats left.
  8. Wyody

Wyody ,

I don't think the penninsula of Florida is 120 miles wide at the southern tip (the Glades) and I don't think it gets wider than 150 or so - that's reachable. It's also all coral with about a foot of topsoil on it, except for the Glades which are mostly under water anyhow - so, if it were one big surge, it would all be under water. However, I think it would return to normal pretty quick - water would recede like it was running off of a duck.
    I remember when it was called the Sunshine state. Now, I hear it's called "The Plywood State".
    By the way, they've had reports of Bigfoot in Marion County, Florida.
    Always wondered where The Bigfoots went on vacation.
  9. TalmudTemple

TalmudTemple Member

safest ??

perhaps coastal Manatee or even Sarasota